Home
/
Isiam
/
Islamic World
/
The battle for Homs
The battle for Homs
May 20, 2026 3:01 PM

  The Syrian city of Homs has been under attack for nearly a week, as government forces allied to President Bashar al-Assad try to regain control of opposition-held areas.

  The city, in the centre of the country, has emerged as the capital of the uprising and its Revolutionary Council runs a virtual state-within-a-state, providing services and fielding its own armed groups.

  This latest army offensive, which began on the night of February 3, was interpreted by leaders of Homs' uprising as a response to their recent gains.

  Members of the Revolutionary Council said fighters in the Homs province had taken advantage of the presence of Arab League monitors in December and January to reinforce themselves and bring supplies in from Lebanon, knowing the regime would be limited in its ability to obstruct them at that time.

  Fighters announced that they attacked security forces in Rastan, expelled them from Talbiseh, and took control of more territory in Homs city, launching two attacks on the State Security and Military Security headquarters.

  On February 3, the day government forces began their offensive, revolution fighters attacked at least three army checkpoints, including one at Homs’ Qahira roundabout, where they reportedly seized a large armored vehicle - either a personnel carrier or a tank.

  They also captured many Syrian soldiers and released a video of interviews with the officers of the captured unit.

  After the attack on the Qahira checkpoint, security forces shelled the neighborhood of Khaldiyeh. Revolution activists say shelling started around 8:30pm and lasted until 4am, with scores of civilians killed.

  Revolution leaders on the ground said up to 250 mortars landed in the area, and that most of the shells were shot from a citadel on high ground, and from the State Security headquarters located in the nearby Ghota district.

  The Revolutionary Council said there had been no exchange of gunfire on the ground, just shelling from locations where government forces could operate safely. This suggests they were unable to actually attack Khaldiyeh with ground troops.

  Increasing desperation

  "It was a massacre," said one senior leader of the uprising in Homs. "After many failed invasions, Assad's army stopped attempts to enter the area because of the strong resistance of the Free Syrian Army... So it started hitting it by mortars."

  "Many troops from the Free Syrian Army moved from Bab Sbaa and Bab Amr to Khaldiyeh to defend the area.

  "But they found no Assad troops or vehicles to shoot at. The cowards did not dare to face us in a fair battle. They just bombed the civilian buildings from a distance.

  "We were trying to provide blood bags and snipers were targeting us. Women and kids were crying. Doctors were dispirited. There was a catastrophe."

  The opposition leader went on to say that Assad's opponents in Homs had become increasingly desperate after the UN Security Council failed to pass a resolution condemning the violence in Syria.

  "People want to announce jihad ["struggle"]," he said. He added that he worried that the political leadership on the ground would lose control of the armed men.

  The Revolutionary Council later said it had documented the deaths of 105 civilians from the shelling. About 100 others were seriously wounded and 25 more missing or captured.

  One revolution fighter was reported killed and five others wounded.

  While the shelling focused on Khaldiyeh, there were also casualties reported by the opposition in the neighborhoods of Qusur, Jurt Ashayah, Inshaat, Karm al-Zeiton and Bab Tadmur.

  When some wounded and dead were taken to Jurt Ashayah, they were attacked by government forces in armored vehicles, according to opposition members.

  Some of the injured were reportedly captured, along with those trying to evacuate them.

  'Controlling most of Homs'

  After the initial assault on Khaldiyeh, more areas of Homs were hit by government forces in the following days, and opposition leaders reported that soldiers were shooting from some checkpoints.

  "They are afraid to move troops into the neighborhoods," one leader said, interpreting the indirect attacks as a sign of the regime’s weakness.

  "We ordered our armed groups to remain silent for now," he said. "We don’t want them to attack or engage with the army because we don’t have much ammunition."

  Homs has been under siege for months, and its opposition leaders fear they will run out of supplies within days. Internet, mobile phones and land lines are cut off in most of the city.

  Hama’s Revolutionary Council offered the Homs Revolutionary Council help with food, medicine, arms and ammunition.

  The two councils co-operate closely and the team from Hama, about 30km north of Homs, was waiting for an opening to provide help.

  As shelling continued, the fighters expected an eventual ground assault. But despite the increased crackdown, leaders of the Homs Revolutionary Council insisted they had lost no ground.

  "We control most of Homs," one member of the council’s executive council said.

  'Crying and dancing'

  Government troops tried to enter the Inshaat neighborhood of Homs on Wednesday, in preparation for an attack on the adjacent opposition stronghold Bab Amr.

  Security forces reached Inshaat’s Hikma hospital but the Revolutionary Council said one of its armed groups halted the attack, destroying two tanks and three military vehicles.

  The council, which has a sophisticated documentation team, claimed that 559 people had been killed since the government offensive began, including 43 children and 16 women.

  "Today is terrible as usual but we are used to dying every day and dancing every day," one leader of the council said on Thursday.

  "We go to the funeral at noon, cry for our martyrs, and then we go at night to the demonstration and dance for a few minutes of freedom.

  "Homs will not surrender. They are bombing us from a distance, they don't dare to enter the city. They think they will destroy our will and resistance.

  "We are waiting for them and we will defeat them in our neighborhoods. Finally they will enter the city. We are waiting for them."

  PHOTO CAPTION

  Map of Syria locating Homs

  By Nir Rosen

  Source: Aljazeera.com

Comments
Welcome to mreligion comments! Please keep conversations courteous and on-topic. To fosterproductive and respectful conversations, you may see comments from our Community Managers.
Sign up to post
Sort by
Show More Comments
Islamic World
Palestinian hunger strike passes 40-day mark
  Just outside the Tbeish family home, people began to gather at sunset. Some carried flags, but most held posters of the town's native son, Ayman. A child carried a placard depicting a young man in chains; "Ayman is dying" read another sign, held by an elderly man.   In what has...
Central Gaza homes turn into refuge for the displaced
  The clock above Gaza Strip resident Ahlam Abed chimed 6:00am and in that hour there was strong knocking on the door of her house. The knocking was one of fear.   Behind the door there was a Palestinian family that sought safety from Israel's ceaseless rocket and bomb attacks on the...
Egypt's human rights situation is going from ugly to uglier
  Egypt's deteriorating human rights situation in the past three years has had something of a boiled frog effect to it - things have gotten worse just gradually enough that the country's unfolding problems have been pushed to the margins.   But the severe abuses meted out to Egyptian citizens are crushing...
Palestinians forced to demolish own homes
  For the past two months, Hamzah Abu Terr has slept on the floor of his home. He gave his bed to his three small children whose room he was forced to destroy earlier this year, to avoid large demolition fines issued by the Israeli municipality.   "I had no choice," said...
Thousands of Syrian babies becoming stateless
  Ibrahim Khattar and his fiancé Daouk were forced to flee Aleppo for Lebanon in late 2012. Months later, the young couple wed and Daouk became pregnant; after the upheaval of the war and a long engagement, they were finally starting a fresh life.   But it was not to be. The...
Syrian refugees struggle in urban Jordan
  Three years after fleeing their war-torn country, more than half a million Syrian refugees living in Jordan’s urban centres have become more vulnerable and destitute, a new study has revealed.   A household assessment released by CARE International on Thursday found that urban Syrian refugees are struggling to cope with inadequate...
Displaced Syrians battle for online lifeline
  Yousef sat on the navy couch with his arms wrapped tightly around his legs, and rocked back and forth.   It's a position he has become all too familiar with over the past year. He turned on his laptop and waited fitfully for Skype to load.   "Without Skype I wouldn't be...
Israel locking up more children in isolation
  Jamil was only 16 years old when Israeli soldiers raided his Bir al-Basha home near Jenin late last year. It was a few hours before dawn when he was awakened by a hard nudge, blindfolded and handcuffed, then taken away in his pyjamas and house slippers.   His ordeal took place...
Amnesty: Dozens of Sunni detainees killed by Iraq government
  Evidence is emerging of reprisal killings of 50 Sunni detainees in the custody of Iraqi forces as retaliation for predominantly Sunni militant group, ISIS's take over of parts of Iraq in the last three weeks, say Amnesty International.   Survivors and relatives of the victims said that the detainees were extra...
UN: Syria drought to deepen food crisis
  The United Nations has warned that a looming drought in Syria could push millions more people into hunger and exacerbate a refugee crisis caused by the three-year conflict.   Syria's breadbasket northwestern region has received less than half of the average rainfall since September and, if it stays dry up to...
Related Classification
Copyright 2023-2026 - www.mreligion.com All Rights Reserved