Home
/
Isiam
/
Islamic World
/
Syria gas attack: 'We found bodies all over the floor'
Syria gas attack: 'We found bodies all over the floor'
Feb 21, 2026 12:24 PM

  Survivors of a suspected chemical attack in Syria's Idlib province and aid workers on the scene say they are still in shock and struggling to recover from the distressing event of the attack.

  "It's just indescribable," Othman al-Khani, local activist and witness said. "We saw people suffocating while their lungs were collapsing. The hardest was watching the children as we stood there unable to provide any sort of assistance, and medics sprayed them with water" to disperse the chemical substance, Khani told Al Jazeera.

  Tuesday's air raids on the Khan Sheikhoun neighborhood left at least 70 civilians killed and 557 wounded, according to local medics.

  Hani Ahmed al-Qutaini, another witness, described the attack as "a painful experience".

  "When the first strike hit at approximately 6:30am, people were asleep in their homes, nobody was aware what kind of attack this was," said Qutaini, who is also a volunteer with the Syrian Civil Defense, otherwise known as the White Helmets.

  Qutaini was at home, a few kilometers away from the scene of the attack, when the first bombs hit. "We rushed on to the streets and as we were approaching the scene, we were shocked to see people saying that there was an extremely bad smell that took over the area - everyone who approached the scene got extremely dizzy and fainted," he told Al Jazeera.

  According to Qutaini, there were a total of four air strikes on the same area. As he and a team of first-responders approached the scene, he said they realized it was poisonous gas that hit the village. "We were not all equipped. We wore basic masks and don't have access to advanced anti-gas masks," he said. "Some of the medics were affected as a result. A handful fainted and they had to request for backup".

  "We found bodies all over the floor. We are simply speechless, there is nothing left to say," Qutaini said.

  He added that an ambulance was able to transfer casualties, many of whom were women and children, to 100 emergency points, including hospitals.

  "It was a very painful experience. The effect of the gas is instant. It was so strong. There were three or four gas bombs in one area, within 500 meters of each other. Can you imagine?"

  Qutaini added. "They were four bombs and many people died on the spot. There was virtually no time for people to react."

  According to local medics, the attack caused people to vomit and discharge foam from their mouths.

  "My eyes are until this very moment itchy and red. Until this very moment, all I can see are blotches of darkness," Anas al-Diab, a local civil defense worker who was wounded in the attack, told Al Jazeera.

  "I stood 10 meters from the basted area, for about 30 seconds to document the scene with my camera. Upon my return to the clinic some two and a half minutes later, I felt so light-headed and couldn't see," he said.

  At the scene of the attack, Diab said he was helping his colleagues take off the victims' contaminated clothes before transferring them inside the emergency clinics.

  "We saw cases of suffocation. These were by no means normal cases," he said. "They were poisonous ones. We had to barge into homes to transfer family members who were incapacitated on the floor."

  "Ten air strikes demolished the only hospital in Khan Sheikhoun, and nearly destroyed the local civil defense building," he said.

  Safwat, a senior health official in Idlib who preferred not to use his full name, told Al Jazeera that there are currently 557 wounded civilians. Among them are 23 children and 16 women.

  He said he expects the total death toll to rise. "Vulnerable victims suffered the most. Children suffered the most. Among the dead, most were children," he said, adding that 53 Syrians had been transferred to hospitals in Turkey for further treatment.

  Safwat explained that the symptoms were common across all of the cases. Muscle spasm, difficulty in breathing and suffocation, are what caused most of the deaths, according to him.

  Khan Sheikhoun's sole hospital was attacked and destroyed three hours after the first airstrike hit.

  "Two days prior to this attack, Idlib's main hospital in the south of the province was also attacked. We're massively short-staffed with very little supplies," he said. "We need mobile oxygen masks, the one supply that is the most vital for the victims' survival".

  Out of Idlib's 20 hospitals, Safwat said there are nine that can currently receive these cases. Many of the hospitals have been forced to share scarce supplies.

  "People in surrounding areas across Idlib are just so scared. They're scared to be the next victims of a chemical attack," he said. "We had seen such cases in the media and on television, but in reality, we had never experienced this before."

  Syrian opposition groups and activists blamed the attack on the government of Bashar al-Assad. But the Syrian military rejected the accusation, saying it "denies using any toxic or chemical agents in Khan Sheikhoun today, and it did not and never will use it anywhere".

  Khani, however, believes the attack was intended to target civilians.

  "They claim to have been targeting a military base, but this was just a civilian neighborhood," he said. "The scene is even more gruesome than can ever be described. Everybody was panicking, especially those who had to watch their own children die in pain."

  PHOTO CAPTION

  A crater is seen at the site of an airstrike, after what rescue workers described as a suspected gas attack in the town of Khan Sheikhoun in rebel-held Idlib, Syria April 4, 2017. REUTERS/

  Source: Aljazeera.com

Comments
Welcome to mreligion comments! Please keep conversations courteous and on-topic. To fosterproductive and respectful conversations, you may see comments from our Community Managers.
Sign up to post
Sort by
Show More Comments
Islamic World
Anti-Arab incitement grips Israel
  As racially motivated attacks and growing incitement gripped Israel over the weekend, 23-year-old Waad Ghantous, a Palestinian citizen of Israel, was not surprised at being verbally accosted in this mixed city, home to both Arabs and Jews on Israel's northern coast.   "The racism is always present, but it's much worse...
East Jerusalem under 'collective punishment'
  After months of unrest, municipal officials in Jerusalem have begun a widespread crackdown on the Palestinian residents of East Jerusalem, enforcing the finest points of the law in what rights groups have dubbed an act of "collective punishment".   Small businesses have been shuttered for unpaid bills, or for lacking the...
7 Palestinians killed, 350 detained in October: NGO
  Seven Palestinians were killed and 350 others, including three journalists and an ex-female prisoner, detained by Israel during October, a Palestinian NGO said Saturday.   Ahrar Center for Prisoners and Human Rights Studies said the seven dead victims included four teenagers less than 15 years of age.   The center added in...
Palestinians 'imprisoned' by Rafah closure
  Razan al-Halaqawi was too ill to spend weeks waiting for Egypt to open the Gaza Strip's main crossing in Rafah.   The crossing has been closed to residents looking to exit Gaza since October 25; in the intervening days, Egypt has opened the crossing just once in one direction for two...
15,000 new Jewish settlers in W. Bank in 2014
  More than 15,000 Israelis moved to Jewish-only settlements located in the Israeli-occupied West Bank over the course of 2014, an Israeli official said Friday.   "Interior Ministry figures, showing that Judea-Samaria [the Jewish name for the West Bank] currently has nearly 400,000 Israelis, demonstrates [that] settlement in Judea-Samaria is an irreversible...
Iraqi Shia militias accused of murder spree
  Shia militias have abducted and murdered scores of Sunni civilians in Iraq in crimes committed in retribution against the actions of ISIL, according to a new report by Amnesty International.   The London-based rights group on Tuesday published what it said was evidence that Shia militias abducted civilians in Baghdad, Samarra...
Israel detains 100 Palestinian Palestinians in E. Jerusalem
  Israeli police have detained more than 100 Palestinians in East Jerusalem since July for allegedly "throwing stones" at trains.   In a Tuesday statement, police said that more than 100 Palestinians had been arrested since July – when a Palestinian teenager was murdered by suspected Jewish settlers – for pelting passing...
Yemen report highlights turmoil's human cost
  At least 7,000 people were killed in Yemen in 2014, including at least 1,200 civilians, three times the level of deaths from when the current turmoil began in 2011, according to a Yemeni think-tank's report.   It is now thought that Shia Houthi fighters are controlling about 70 percent of army's...
Palestinian anger boils in the heart of East Jerusalem
  For months, the streets of mainly Arab East Jerusalem, in the shadow of the Old City but where tourists seldom venture, have been ablaze, with daily clashes between armed Israeli police and Palestinians throwing rocks and Molotov cocktails.   The roots of the unrest are many: from the killing in July...
Soaring number of deaths in Syria prisons
  A staggering 1,917 people have died of torture, starvation and lack of medical treatment in Syrian prisons this year, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights has said.   The Britain-based observatory said on Sunday it had documented nearly 2,000 deaths since the start of 2014.   The dead include 27 children under...
Related Classification
Copyright 2023-2026 - www.mreligion.com All Rights Reserved