Home
/
Isiam
/
Islamic World
/
Pakistani drone victim seeks to put US on trial
Pakistani drone victim seeks to put US on trial
Feb 19, 2026 12:14 PM

  Sadaullah Wazir says he was relaxing in his front yard when the missile struck, hurling him against the wall and mangling his legs so badly that they had to be amputated. Three of his relatives died. Now the 17-year-old and his family want justice from America, which they say was behind the attack.

  Detailed accounts by casualties such as Wazir rarely make it outside the tribal regions. He and other tribesmen recently traveled to Islamabad, the capital, to meet with lawyers who are planning to sue the CIA for damages, possibly adding a new layer of scrutiny to the agency's covert war inside Pakistan.

  American officials do not acknowledge that war or discuss who is being killed in drone-fired missile attacks, which have surged this year to average about two a week. But they have said privately that the strikes are "highly precise and harm very few innocents".

  International law experts are questioning their legality. In June, Philip Alston, the independent U.N. investigator on extrajudicial killings, urged the U.S. to "lay out rules and safeguards, publish figures on civilian casualties and prove they have tried other ways to capture or incapacitate suspects without killing them".

  The drone war is shadowy and rife with ambiguities.

  U.S. forces cannot operate in Pakistan the way they do in Afghanistan, so the pilotless aircraft introduced in 2004 are among the few weapons available. Pakistan formally protests the strikes but is widely believed to allow the attacks, and even to provide intelligence for some of them.

  The U.S. has never publicly acknowledged killing or wounding a noncombatant, or paid any compensation, and it isn't known whether the U.S. or Pakistan track or investigate civilian deaths.

  The tribal regions are remote and off limits to foreigners, and journalists work there under severe constraints, so accounts of innocent victims cannot be independently verified. Still, their stories stoke Pakistani public outcry.

  The planned lawsuit may be bound up in a bigger behind-the-scenes drama. According to U.S. officials, the CIA station chief had to leave Pakistan last week partly as a result of being named by Wazir's lawyer, Shahzad Akbar, as a defendant in another suit he is bringing, on behalf of a North Waziristan man who says he lost his son and brother in a drone strike.

  The U.S. officials reportedly have said the case may be the Pakistani spy agency's revenge for an American lawsuit against its chief over the 2008 attacks on the Indian city of Mumbai. The Pakistan agency has denied leaking the CIA man's name.

  There have been 109 drone attacks this year, about 90 percent of them in North Waziristan, where Wazir lives.

  The strike on his village of Machi Khel happened in September 2009, according to Wazir and his grandfather. It hit a group of men chatting outdoors in the Wazir family compound as the day's fasting for the Muslim holy month of Ramadan came to an end.

  A house some 100 yards (meters) away, where women and children were staying, was untouched. But Wazir, then a schoolboy, was standing close by the men when the missile hit.

  Three of his relatives were killed — two cousins and an uncle. None had any links to fighters, according to his grandfather and another cousin.

  "I was bleeding but conscious. Someone screamed 'He is alive!' and then picked me up and put me in a vehicle," said Wazir. "I don't remember what happened next."

  The next day, he was driven for five hours to the city of Peshawar, where surgeons at the International Committee of the Red Cross amputated his legs below the knee. He now hobbles on artificial limbs and crutches. He also lost an eye and has not finished school. He says his family paid up to $7,000 for his treatment.

  After he returned home from Islamabad last week an Associated Press reporter visited him. The missile's five-foot-deep crater had been filled in and planted over with grass, but the walls of the compound still showed shrapnel marks.

  How many people died in the strike beside Wazir's three relatives is not known, nor has anyone suggested a reason they might have been targeted. Wazir's family insists they had no links to fighters.

  Shahzad Akbar is the lawyer seeking to represent Wazir in a civil suit against U.S. officials claiming wrongful death. He says he will use witness accounts to show the house was hit from a drone, which can be seen and heard in flight.

  Akbar, who studied law in Britain, says he realizes there is no chance that any CIA official will show up in court or ever pay up if damages are awarded. But he hopes for a symbolic victory and some unwanted headlines for the CIA.

  He vehemently denies being a pawn in rivalries between spy agencies.

  "I believe in values such as freedom and the due process of the law," he said.

  PHOTO CAPTION

  People chant slogans during a rally against U.S. drone attacks on Pakistani tribal areas in Islamabad, Pakistan, Dec. 10, 2010 file photo.

  Source: AP

Comments
Welcome to mreligion comments! Please keep conversations courteous and on-topic. To fosterproductive and respectful conversations, you may see comments from our Community Managers.
Sign up to post
Sort by
Show More Comments
Islamic World
Israeli troops told to 'kill on sight' in Gaza war
  An Israeli NGO expressed concern on Monday over the Israeli army's "indiscriminate fire" policy against Palestinians after collecting testimony suggesting that soldiers were ordered to "kill on sight" during last summer's military onslaught on the Gaza Strip.   In a Sunday statement, Breaking the Silence, an Israeli NGO, said that testimonies...
Displaced by Israel, Palestinians settle in caves
  Scores of Palestinians in the occupied West Bank have made homes out of mountain caves on the outskirts of Al-Khalil (Hebron) city, as Israel continues to prevent them from building homes on territories earmarked for Jewish-only settlements.   "We have tried to build homes with bricks and cement, but the Israeli...
Israeli soldier: ‘We bombed civilians for entertainment’
  According to an article written in Days of Palestine, an Israeli soldier has given his account of the events that occurred during the attacks on Gaza in July 2014.   Known as Operation Protective Edge, the soldier described how they were ordered by their unit commander and were free to shoot,...
Thousands commemorate victims of Srebrenica genocide
  Tens of thousands of people have travelled to Srebrenica to attend a ceremony to mark the 20th anniversary of the genocide in the town.   More than 50,000 people, including 80 foreign dignitaries, were expected to include the event on Saturday that will include the funeral of recently found victims.   The...
Many Egyptians fearful in Ramadan amid new ‘security measures’
  As Egyptian Muslims flock to mosques to perform taraweeh, a special nightly prayer only performed during Ramadan, many say they are avoiding prominent mosques for fear of harassment by security forces in a country dogged by political unrest since President Mohamed Morsi was ousted in a 2013 military coup.   “This...
200 Palestinian minors jailed in Israel
  The Palestinian Prisoners Society said in a statement "Most of the Palestinian minors are detained in Ofer detention center near Ramallah and Megiddo and Sharon prisons in northern Israel."   Two female minors, aged 16 and 17, are detained in Israeli Hasharon prison, the release said.   According to the NGO, arrest...
1,000 Gaza children disabled by Israel's 2014 attack
  More than 1,000 Palestinian children in the Gaza Strip sustained permanent disabilities during last year’s 51-day Israeli military onslaught, according to Defense for Children International (DCI), an NGO devoted to children’s rights.   In a report entitled “Operation Protective Edge: A war waged on Gaza's Children”, released on Tuesday, DCI’s Palestine...
Israel killed 23 Palestinians since start of 2015: PLO
  At least 23 Palestinians have been killed and another 2,156 detained by the Israeli military since January 1, 2015, the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) said in a report issued Sunday.   In its report, the PLO added that 131 Palestinian homes had been destroyed in armed operations carried out by the...
Survivors remember Ghouta chemical massacre
  On the second anniversary of the notorious Ghouta chemical massacre in Syria, survivors recount what happened on that fateful day.   Syrian opposition-held areas in Ghouta, eastern Damascus, were attacked with chemical weapons and nerve agents on Aug. 21, 2013.   More than 1,400 civilians were killed, most of whom women and...
Babies die in Gaza due to the resource siege
  Sixteen-month-old Ezzedin Jad al-Kafarneh died as a result of an electrical fire at an UN school in the north of the Gaza Strip.   "On February 16, UNRWA staff discovered smoke coming from a closed room at a Collective Centre in Beit Hanoun. Preliminary reports indicate that one infant died and...
Related Classification
Copyright 2023-2026 - www.mreligion.com All Rights Reserved