Home
/
Isiam
/
Islamic World
/
Glimpse of Syria's Qubayr massacre
Glimpse of Syria's Qubayr massacre
Feb 20, 2026 1:04 AM

  A young man describes how his town became the latest horrific headline to emerge from Syria.

  Mohammad, a 20-year-old from a small village in Hama province, left for work on Wednesday morning not knowing that he would find most residents of his town dead when he returned.

  When Mohammad came back to his house that night, he found the burned corpses of his mother, father, two sisters and one brother on the floor of his charred home.

  "I lost all my family members, with the exception of my grandfather. I found him in his home unconscious. His house was partially destroyed from the shelling," Mohammad told Al Jazeera.

  The reported massacre of at least 70 people in al-Qubayr was the second mass killing to emerge from Syria in less than two weeks, following the apparent murder of around 100 civilians in the town of Houla in Homs province.

  Mohammad and opposition activists blamed government-backed militia, known as shabiha, for killing the residents of al-Qubayr and burning their houses afterwards. The Syrian government has said "terrorists" are responsible.

  Mohammad's grandfather, who was transferred to nearby hospital, told him that supporters of President Bashar al-Assad from the nearby towns of Tal Sikkeen and Aseelah had attacked him.

  "I usually return home at 4pm, but there was heavy shelling in the area, so I stayed out until 8:30pm. When I returned, I saw what I saw," he said.

  “My grandfather was beaten on his head with a heavy object. They did not know he was still alive. If they knew they would have killed him too.”

  Heavy shelling on Wednesday reportedly targeted the villages of Jerjees and Maarzaf, where activists told Al Jazeera they suspected the army was trying to quell opposition fighters. Al-Qubayr, with a population of around 150 people, was close enough to take some of the artillery fire as well.

  “After the shelling, the army withdrew and shabiha entered the town and slaughtered people,” Mohammad said.

  Tal Sikkeen and Aseelah, where activists claimed the shabiha came from, are inhabited mainly by members of the Alawite sect, the offshoot of Shia to which Assad's family and many high-ranking government officials belong.

  Al-Qubayr is a town inhabited mainly by Sunni Muslims, and Mousab al-Hamadee, an activist in Hama, said he believed the acts of the shabiha were motivated by sectarian feelings.

  "The shabiha took advantage of the fact that this town is remote and isolated to attack it," he said.

  SANA, the state news agency, said only that nine people were killed in "cold blood". Hamadee put the death toll at 78.

  The figures remained unverified, as UN observers sent to al-Qubayr were stopped and turned away at Syrian army checkpoints on Thursday. UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said some of the observers had come under small arms fire, while the UN commander on the ground said others had been warned that their safety was at risk if they came to the area.

  Mohammad said he had no idea why his town was targeted.

  “There are no armed resistance fighters in Qubayr. Residents of this town did not participate in anti-government protests,” he told Al Jazeera. “We are farmers. My dad grew wheat. We had nothing to do with politics.”

  Mohammad has left and is now staying at his friend’s house in a nearby village. He said he would not return.

  “What town?" he asked. "There is no town anymore."

  PHOTO CAPTION

  This image made from amateur video released by Shaam News Network and accessed Friday, June 8, 2012, purports to show explosions in the Khaldiyeh area of Homs, Syria.

  Source: Aljazeera.net

Comments
Welcome to mreligion comments! Please keep conversations courteous and on-topic. To fosterproductive and respectful conversations, you may see comments from our Community Managers.
Sign up to post
Sort by
Show More Comments
Islamic World
Syrian surgeon: Why I'm risking my life to treat protesters
  More than 8,000 people have been killed in Syria since the uprising began a year ago, and many more injured. Fearing ill-treatment at official hospitals, demonstrators have sought help at underground clinics. One Damascus surgeon tells his story.   I was at home, looking out of the window, watching a demonstration,...
Revenge of the settlers
  Palestinians are under increasing attacks from Israeli settlers, especially in the last few years, reports have found.   Fadi Quran is little different from any other Palestinian living in the West Bank, where violence from Israeli settlers is part of daily life. Hailing from the town of Al-Bireh, less than one...
The causes of the protests in Afghanistan
  Most American media accounts and commentary about the ongoing violent anti-American protests in Afghanistan depict their principal cause as anger over the burning of copies of the Noble Quran, except that Afghans themselves keep saying things like this:   Protesters in Kabul interviewed on the road and in front of Parliament...
US troop massacre "occurred in two stages"
  The U.S. Army sergeant accused of killing 17 Afghan civilians is believed to have carried out the rampage in two stages, returning to base after the first shootings and then going out to kill again, a U.S. official said on Saturday.   The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, did not...
Syria's greater revolution
  Veteran activists of the current Syrian uprising share their tales of struggle and revolution.   The Syrian revolution began gradually; a protest in Damascus, the detention of teenage anti-regime graffitists in Dar’aa, and the subsequent mass rally for their release that led to a strong military reaction happened over just a...
Mass murder in Kandahar
  As the 16 civilian victims of a US sergeant's shooting spree in southern Afghanistan are buried, new details of the horrific episode are emerging. Nine of those killed were children. Three were women.   The residents of Panjwai district in the volatile Kandahar province said they showed no resistance during the...
Sharp increase in Palestinian deaths in 2011
  The past year saw a sharp rise in the number of civilians killed in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, a human rights group said.   An annual report from the Jerusalem-based B'Tselem showed that in 2011 Israeli forces killed a total of 105 Palestinians in the Gaza Strip, of whom 37 were confirmed...
Palestinians forge new strategies of resistance
  A one-state solution in Palestine/Israel is a subject being increasingly discussed and debated. One way in which the conversation has emerged is through an analysis of the current situation as a de facto one state, a regime which privileges Jews above Palestinians (the latter being granted or denied different rights...
Inside Idlib: Assad crackdown grows in ferocity
  Winter still clings to the ancient cultivated hillsides of the northern Syrian province of Idlib. Nights are chillingly cold; mornings alternate between mist and feeble sun. Under the gnarled olive trees, the soil is naked and neatly raked.   Tens of thousands of trees in rows follow the contours of the...
Syrians routinely tortured in detention
  People detained by the Syrian authorities are being systematically and routinely tortured, an Amnesty International report alleges.   The rights group says officials are using techniques including suspending and then beating detainees with fists and rifle butts.   Many of those from whom Amnesty gathered testimony said children were among the torture...
Related Classification
Copyright 2023-2026 - www.mreligion.com All Rights Reserved