Home
/
Isiam
/
Politics & Economics
/
Famine declared in part of South Sudan's Unity state
Famine declared in part of South Sudan's Unity state
Nov 29, 2025 8:35 PM

  Famine has been declared in two counties of South Sudan, according to an announcement by the South Sudan government and three UN agencies, which says the calamity is the result of prolonged civil war and an entrenched economic crisis that has devastated the war-torn East African nation.

  The official classification of famine highlights the human suffering caused by South Sudan's three-year civil war and even as it is declared President Salva Kiir's government is blocking food aid to some areas, according to UN officials.

  More than 100,000 people in two counties of Unity state are experiencing famine and there are fears it will spread as an additional one million South Sudanese are on the brink of starvation, said the announcement.

  "The concern is not just about the 100,000 civilians that are facing famine at the moment," said Al Jazeera's Hiba Morgan, reporting from Juba. "There are about one million more people that are on the brink of famine.

  "Also, one out of every three households in South Sudan is currently facing food insecurity."

  "Our worst fears have been realized," said Serge Tissot, head of the Food and Agriculture Organization in South Sudan.

  He said the war has disrupted the otherwise fertile country, causing civilians to rely on "whatever plants they can find and fish they can catch".

  'Man-made famine'

  Roughly 5.5 million people, or about 50 percent of South Sudan's population, are expected to be severely food insecure and at risk of death in the coming months, said the report.

  It added that nearly three-quarters of all households in the country suffer from inadequate food.

  If food aid does not reach children urgently "many of them will die," said Jeremy Hopkins, head of the UN children's agency in South Sudan.

  Over 250,000 children are severely malnourished Hopkins said, meaning they are at risk of death.

  It is not the first time South Sudan has experienced starvation. When it fought for independence from Sudan in 1998, the territory suffered from a famine spurred by civil war.

  Anywhere from 70,000 to several hundred thousand people died during that famine. But Monday's declaration of starvation is solely South Sudan's creation, and a UN official blamed the country's politicians for the humanitarian crisis.

  "This famine is man-made," said Joyce Luma, head of the World Food Programme in South Sudan. "There is only so much that humanitarian assistance can achieve in the absence of meaningful peace and security."

  "This famine is not caused by draught, it is not caused by floods," Al Jazeera's Morgan said. "It is basically caused by the conflict which resulted in a collapsing economy."

  "The conflict made it impossible for many people to farm, especially in the equatorial regions, which was previously stable until the conflict broke out in July."

  Nowhere else has civil war caused such a drastic decline in South Sudan's food security than in Central Equatoria state, according to the report.

  Traditionally South Sudan's breadbasket, Central Equatoria has been hit by fighting and ethnically targeted killings that began in July 2016 and have displaced over half a million residents and disrupted agricultural production.

  South Sudan's widespread hunger has been compounded by an economic crisis, as well. South Sudan is experiencing severe inflation, which has made food unaffordable for many families.

  "There is 800 percent inflation in this country at the moment, food market prices have become unaffordable for a lot of people," Al Jazeera's Morgan said.

  When The Associated Press news agency visited the western town of Aweil in September, the price of food had risen ten-fold in the previous 12 months.

  Although it is not as significant as the effects of war and inflation, some of South Sudan's hunger crisis is the direct result of the government's action.

  South Sudanese government officials have blocked or placed constraints on the delivery of food aid to areas of the country, according to a UN official who insisted on anonymity because of lack of authorization to speak to the media.

  But Al Jazeera's Morgan said the reason behind the lack of humanitarian access is a lot complicated.

  "There is fighting between the government and various armed groups," she said.

  "So it is quite hard to bring humanitarian aid to the areas affected by this famine. Humanitarian organizations do not know who is operating some parts of the country at any given time, they don't know how to communicate with people in charge, and this causes some kind of a barrier for humanitarian aid."

  South Sudan's rural demographics is also an obstacle in front of food aid, Morgan said.

  "Most civilians are basically in the bush, most of South Sudan's population, 70 percent, is in the bush. It is very hard for the aid to reach these people."

  On Monday, the UN agencies said that unimpeded humanitarian access "is urgently needed".

  Tens of thousands of people have died since civil war broke out in December 2013, and the UN warns that South Sudan is at risk of genocide.

  Since fighting in the capital of Juba killed hundreds of people in July, the war has uprooted more than three million people.

  UN officials have contested that hunger in South Sudan is even more shocking because of the country's fertile land conditions. During her farewell briefing in November as head of the UN mission, Ellen Loj said that South Sudan has the resources and climate to feed itself.

  "When I am flying up country, I am always surprised to see all that fertile land and there is not anything," Loj said.

  "You could feed yourself plenty and I hope peace will come to South Sudan."

  Source: Aljazeera.com

Comments
Welcome to mreligion comments! Please keep conversations courteous and on-topic. To fosterproductive and respectful conversations, you may see comments from our Community Managers.
Sign up to post
Sort by
Show More Comments
Politics & Economics
Detainee offered freedom for silence on torture
  A British court ruled Monday that U.S. authorities had asked a Guantanamo Bay detainee to drop allegations of torture in exchange for his freedom.   A ruling by two British High Court judges said the U.S. offered Binyam Mohamed a plea bargain deal in October. Mohamed refused the deal and the...
Hundreds kidnapped in Gambian "witch hunts"
  Hundreds of people have been kidnapped in Gambian witch hunts and taken to detention centers where they were forced to drink hallucinogenic concoctions, Amnesty International said.   Eye witnesses and victims told the rights group that those involved in rounding up victims were "accompanied by police army and national intelligence agents,"...
The Islamophobia machine, a new growth industry (part 1 of 2)
  By: Dr Mohamed Elmasry   Just as some Jews betrayed their co-religionists by aiding the Nazi propaganda machine before and during WWII, today there are Muslims just as eagerly and effectively helping the Islamophobia industry to stereotype and marginalize their brothers and sisters of the faith. These Muslims are very much...
Israel and the crime of Apartheid
  By Hazem Jamjoum   In recent years, increasing numbers of people around the world have begun adopting and developing an analysis of Israel as an apartheid regime. (1) This can be seen in the ways that the global movement in support of the Palestinian anti-colonial struggle is taking on a pointedly...
Israeli use of phosphorus 'a crime'
  A report by an international rights group has said that Israel's use of white phosphorus during its recent offensive on the Gaza Strip is evidence of war crimes.   Human Rights Watch (HRW) said on Wednesday that the munitions were fired indiscriminately and over densely populated areas during the 23-day war,...
Torture and justice, American style
  "I could see them, dragged naked along the concrete corridor," reported the 18-year-old boy. "Their skin was tearing off their bodies and the extreme pain showed on their faces. Electric shockers such as are used on livestock had first been used on them. I saw the burns on their arms...
A year on, Myanmar cyclone survivors struggle to rebuild
  A year after Cyclone Nargis battered army-ruled Myanmar, killing nearly 140,000 people, paddy fields remain bare and tens of thousands of survivors live in makeshift shelters.   "Everybody lives on food handouts and most of us don't have decent shelter or a job," Ba Thin, 72, said, pointing to the bamboo,...
'Israelis may emigrate over nuclear threat'
  Almost a quarter of Israel's seven million citizens would consider leaving the country if Iran becomes a nuclear military power, according to a new poll.   The poll also shows that over 40 per cent of Israelis believe that their military forces should strike Iran's nuclear installations without waiting to see...
'UN providing cover for racism'
  The United Nations is providing cover for Israeli racism say dozens of human rights workers and Fawzi Barhoum, a spokesperson for Hamas.   The United Nations Conference against Racism in Geneva is being boycotted by the US, Israel, Italy, Australia, New Zealand, the Netherlands and Germany. That is “just in case”...
US detainee abuse 'unprecedented'
  A former US official has accused the administration of George Bush, the former president, of authorizing "unprecedented" acts of abuse during the interrogation of detainees.   Phillip Zelikow told a US senate hearing on torture practices that the Bush administration was guilty of a "collective failure" over the interrogation of "war...
Related Classification
Copyright 2023-2025 - www.mreligion.com All Rights Reserved